Saturday, October 22, 2005

Does the past matter?


The impetus for this article was provided by the discrepancy stemming from the previous article between me and Kyle (whom I am grateful to for being the most sincere, honest, and critical reader I could ask for) about the importance of the past. But it’s also an issue that I constantly face in my political/cultural/religious/historical/societal studies, as well as a deeply personal issue. But before I start, let me just say this is probably the last article I write for a while since school is now in full swing and I have two research projects that I don’t know how I’m going to finish on time. One concerns a paper on Tariq Ramadan (perhaps the most important European Muslim intellectual today) and the other is about Islam in Hungary. Besides these two massive projects, I have several other papers to write, many books to read and, of course, playing hockey for Georgetown. But enough of my personal life, lets talk about the past.

How important is it to remember one’s past? Is it merely an accessory to be aware of or deisregarded depending on the circumstance? Is it a tool of convenience that can be brought forth to accentuate a particular story and event and hidden if it is particularly embarrassing or damaging to the individual? Is the past something permanent and concrete or does it change when new events and new attitudes come forth?

I read an interesting article the other day that talked about an individual’s experience with a concussion where he was unable to remember conversations as soon as they were over, lost track of names and addresses, and would suddenly find himself on the street or subway without any idea where he was or where he was heading. Of course, we all forget things: we've all had the experience of walking into the kitchen and then losing track of why we came, or fumbling for the name of someone we've met a dozen times. But this was different. This was a complete erasure of linear time. Every moment was new, without history, and grounded in the past only by the detailed notes he kept for himself. Think of the film Memento.

Now the really interesting part of this story is that this man claims that because he was unlikely to remember the meal, conversation, or film that he was enjoying, he was freer to enjoy these pleasures more by truly living in the moment. He had been skeptical, uptight, and nervous, but now he preformed poetry at slams, danced at bonfires in the desert, and traveled to new countries on a whim. Without memory, he glided from moment to moment with everything always being a complete surprise. He had no choice but to trust everything around him which he described as “relaxing.”

Undoubtedly, this sounds extremely liberating and anyone could therefore agree that inhibition is a bad thing. It’s better to eliminate self-consciousness if it weighs you down right? Better to forget weaknesses, imperfections and guilt because they are nothing but an impediment to happiness.

But the man’s story is not over.

After six months the symptoms of permanent amnesia wore off and he returned to “his old self.” Except “he” was no longer there. In the six months, many things changed. He had quit his job, his girlfriend left him, and he came out of the closet. He couldn’t remember anything that happened during that six month period.

Now it’s obvious from the first part of his story that the temporary amnesia helped him to be happy in ways he never could have been otherwise. Furthermore, it fundamentally transformed his personality and character, for the better he admits. But then he says something really shocking: the loss of his memory was really a loss of his identity. The memories, flavors, and formative experiences that made up his current identity were gone, and therefore he had nothing to root his current preferences, inclinations, and self in. True, he has a better finished product and admits he is happier than before the concussion. But the inability to remember his experiences has him admitting in the end that given the choice, he would reverse everything that had happened.

I think I can understand why. Have you ever played a game and lost? Have you ever tried to build something and failed? Of course, we all have. The point is: the path towards the finish line is more important than the result itself, otherwise engaging in activity without a guarantee of success would be absurd and we are, for the most part, rational individuals. The experience has value in and of itself, and is therefore, more important than the result itself. Any Olympian would agree with me. Would you not run a marathon if you couldn’t be first? Would you not engage in activity if you weren’t guaranteed success?

Many wonderful memories of mine have arisen from failure and losses. Even from humiliation and embarrassment, I can often look back and laugh. This is why being without memory, to me, is more than mere forgetfulness: it is being set adrift on an eternal present, without trajectory or history. This is why the past is important. Mystics from around the world will say a temporary suspension of memory, and of thought, allows for “peak experiences.” Yet in every wisdom tradition that I know of, there is also a return. The Zen monk comes back to the marketplace; Moses descends from the mountain; Christ emerges from the wilderness. Without memory, there may be beauty and happiness, but there is no coherence. There are episodes, but no continuous narrative. Pure moments of being may be the closest we come to enlightenment. But then, where is the telling of the story?

3 Comments:

Blogger Kyle Wood said...

I wouldn't go so far as amnesia for enlightenment, for the record. :)You have hit the nail on the head! This is the conundrum I'm dealing with right now. I truly believe in the Zen view of the now, in which, one basically approaches every moment with fresh eyes (no preconceived determination of likely outcomes) and acts accordingly.

However, I cannot discount memories altogether as being unimportant. I wouldn't have arrived at this moment perhaps had it not been for the path I traveled to get here. And I do appreciate the path and my experiences. I certainly wouldn't be with my wife had I not learned lessons from past relationships. I certainly wouldn't be staunchly individualistic had it not been for the stench of conformity in the town in which I grew up.

On the other hand, I believe the Zen viewpoint has incredible merit. Many people's memories become stories of the past. By that, I mean that they become the book of their life, written in their mind as if one moment must flow to the next. You rehash stories of loss, anger, or even love, and live within them rather than living the moment in front of you.You react to new moments with paradigms learned in the past. (I mentioned this before when dealing with the reactions of several people to the same scenario). This certainly has good and bad repercussions, however, I can't help but think it would be incredible to meet each moment anew and react as feels right, right now. I suppose the feeling you get to act could be attributed as much to your past experience and upbringing as much as anything else. I also believe that within each of use operates the universe and vice versa. Deep down, I really believe, as hokey as it sounds, that each person regardless of past pressures and experiences has some ability to act compassionately and sincerely to every situation. Call it returning to the "blank slate" or listening to the angel on your shoulder or conscience. This isn't to say that they cast "I" aside, but that they look at the person in front of them as completely equal, as valid (no matter how wrong)as they are, as even a part of them, and respond accordingly. Golden Rule I guess, in short. I read a Zen book once that had a quote I've since forgotten. But the jest of it was that you act in every situation the most appropiate way because you would never knowingly mistreat yourself (the other people involved being a portion of you).

I know I've strayed from your topic again and I apologize. I agree completely with what you say and yet I don't. You see why my ideas are often difficult to follow because I'm involved in a great deal of soul searching in the last couple of years in which my past and present don't always merge in a linear design. They seem to contradict, but the goal at the core is very much the same. I want to be me. I want that me to be the same for my wife, my co-workers and a bum on the street no matter what side of the bed I got up on or how much "I" disagree with that person's political/ spiritual stance. It's difficult and sometimes repulsively hypocritical when trying to hash it all out. Eventually, it'll work out. My identity apart and connected to it all will merge.

5:25 PM  
Blogger -R said...

When I say that it is important to remember the past, I don’t mean drowning in it. Like someone who incessantly recalls stories, clutches old traditions, or even holds grudges due to past experiences. Every moment is new, and it would be a shame for a grown modern man to attempt to wear the same coat that he wore in his youthful years of an earlier age. Not only would it be a shame, but it would be physically impossible.

I very much agree with you that one should have “no preconceived determination of likely outcomes,” and that “each person regardless of past pressures and experiences” should “act compassionately and sincerely to every situation.” However, I would call this open mindedness, and not an abolition of past experiences.

The line that you do throw up a red flag is when you say “meet each moment anew and react as feels right, right now.” First of all I don’t think this is even possible but even if it were, it sounds too much like unadulterated hedonism, and I don’t even think you agree with this. If you did, then you would also agree with having sex with a girl because your hormones want it and it feels right while completely “forgetting” that you have a wife and kid back at home. You might argue that this is a value judgment, but I would argue that all value judgments are shaped from the past. This is why I think we’re actually in agreement, but I didn’t do a good job of clarifying myself (not to say I’m doing a better job of it now).

Even your decision to become Zen follows a long line of experiences which have led you to embrace this philosophy. You embrace it precisely because your subconscious, if not your conscious, remembers why you don’t want to be otherwise. I can also guarantee you, although I’m no prophet, so instead I’ll bet you (since I am a gambler), that in ten years your attitude and perspective will change again. I’m taking a very realist, as opposed to my usual idealistic, position by claiming the importance of the past. It’s not that I WANT the past to influence us so much; it’s that I see it EVERYWHERE and in EVERYONE. It’s an essential part of our being, of our identity. Except for people who (and this is who this article was really geared toward):

never reflect on their actions,
never learn from their mistakes,
motto is “might is right,”
think the ends justify the means.

4:02 PM  
Blogger Kyle Wood said...

I agree that we agree on 95% of things and have arrived there couching it in different terminology and with a different reference. I do believe that you should do what feels right, right now. Here, I mean "feels right" as guided by your universal truths, your conscience, your "portion of the big g." That part of you should never lead you astray or to do things you shouldn't do. If it somehow does, then I guess it was meant to be.

I completely agree with your last paragraph. I have undoubtedly been led in the direction in which I have followed. I agree that experiences have done that. I understood that your audience is typically the majority that neither of us agree with. I have to look around at those people with anger everyday and realize I AM one of them. I don't adhere all the time to half the things I believe just like them. I do let the past rule me too much. Often, here, I speak in ideals; though I understand in our recent strand of topics, you are speakng of most people. Often, I seek those ideals fully knowing it sounds unrealistic and that they may change for me as I go. I seek them knowing that it may be impossible for me to become aware 100% of the time (if I did, I'd likely not have my existing relationships and life and wouldn't need it).

Let us all do as Machiavelli would have us and push ourselves hard for our ideals and beliefs now, knowing that if we happen to change our reality 10 years from now, we'll do the same. The same, whether we have chosen a slight detour off course or a U-Turn midstream. If that's where we find ourselves then, so be it.

5:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker