Sunday, September 18, 2005

An Alternate Reality


Even though I have a few hundred pages to read about Islamic intellectuals, various proposals for Islamizing politics and economies, and studying the black Muslim movement in the United States (oh and I have a paper to write!) I think I’m going to write in my blog instead. Since my good friend Raskolnikov chided me for my arrogance in withholding my writings (even though I was only looking out for the public’s health and interest) I will do as Ron Burgundy in Anchorman says: “I’m just gonna throw this out there, and if you don’t like it, send it right back: I wanna be on you.” (without the “I wanna be on you” part…although, that depends)

As you all know, we are guaranteed many rights by our constitution. The right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness are said to be unalienable rights. There are millions of laws protecting your many rights and in the name of justice you can take legal action if they are infringed. In the modern age, everyone has the right to control the world around them.

But what about your alternate reality? Should there be any laws protecting that? Can there even be laws to protect that? First I should be clear and define my terminology. Reality is everything you can see, touch, hear. The picture that is in front of you. The ground that is below you. These are the things that are “real” whose presence is undisputable to anyone who witnesses them. If someone damages your picture, you can sue.

However, there is also always present an “alternate reality,” which is in fact just as “real” as reality is, that exists in the mind of the perceiver. Alternate reality is interpretation, conception, perception, and ultimately a belief. The picture’s meaning, the feel of the ground, the taste of a drink. An alternate reality can be shared by multiple people, or it can be completely unique to the person witnessing it.

Although there are many laws protecting the tangible of this world, there are far less that protect the individual’s alternate reality. It is much harder to prove undue stress or psychological damage in a court of law. But I would argue that this is far more important. Beliefs are what make a person, not the things that they have. Someone’s worldview, their perception, their attitude, is as unique as their fingerprint. If there is any force which manipulates or coerces that individual’s alternate reality, I would say that is akin to a crime against humanity and perhaps God himself.

Thomas Jefferson, although no prophet, spoke some incredibly wise words: “We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights, among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness…” Notice that he says “endowed by their creator.” This would mean that God intended for people to be individuals, and think independently. I agree with Mr. Jefferson. No one has the right to criticize or coerce someone’s alternate reality. No position of authority wields that right. Not parents, educators, government officials, not even God Himself.

I don’t believe in assimilation or integration. I believe in the individual. Any form of coercion, prostylization, streamlining or discrimination, goes against God’s original intent: for people to figure out for themselves their own alternate reality, where they fit into society, and what beliefs are important to them. Is there any greater quest in life than for a person to understand themselves and the world in which they live in? Is there any task more noble and worthwhile? If you know yourself, you will know the world around you. If you know the world around you, you will know your purpose. And executing your purpose is the watermark that you leave upon this world.

What if you commit an act, and no one is around to see it or know about it. Did it even happen? If you know yourself and you know why you did it, then it did happen, because you committed the act with knowledge of yourself. You did it for yourself because it is in line with what you believe. You didn’t do it for anyone else, you didn’t do it for God, but you did it because it is intrinsic for you to do so. There are people who only help others because they see their own advantage in it. There are people who pray in front of large masses of people because they want to seem pious in the public’s eye. There are some who act outlandish in public because they enjoy the attention. But what about if no one saw them?

What if no one saw you committing the acts you do daily? Would you still do them? If you would, then you are honest with yourself, have strong convictions, and an unshakable alternate reality. If you wouldn’t, then you are most likely living for others’ impressions of you, have no self identity, and are living a lie. My good friend Kyle wrote in his blog about teachers who don’t like “bad” kids because they are reluctant to learn. True teachers do not discriminate between good and bad. In fact, if there are bad children, it’s due to a failure on the teacher because it demonstrates a flaw in them. That is the only reason why they would complain, because they see their own failure in the student, but they would never admit to that. It is ALWAYS easier to blame someone else. A true teacher would double their efforts, triple if necessary, to work on the “bad” kid, but NEVER give up. It is not in the true nature of a teacher to do so.

Are you beginning to understand why it is important to know yourself? To know why it is that you do things? The Dali Lama once remarked: “Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll be able to enjoy it a second time.” I’m not going to quibble about the definition of “good” and “honorable” because as you know I believe in the individual’s right to choose their own definition. I would, however, argue that there are some things like rape that can never be justified as “good” or “honorable.” My point in the Dali Lama’s quote is that if you lead a life continuously executing your beliefs you will enjoy it again and again. Through reminiscence? Looking at old photos? Memories? No. Through the knowledge gained from your experience in doing what you believed in. It is both humbling and powerful. Have you ever heard the deep conviction of people like Malcolm X? Gandhi? Jesus? Mohammad? When you have beliefs, and follow them no matter what the consequences, I believe you achieve a kind of higher understanding of yourself and the world around you. This is why knowing yourself is important. Because no pundit, no government official, no pop fad will ever shake you. You break loose from the crowd. Most of these historic individuals unfortunately died by unnatural causes. It’s one of the sad downsides to gaining this enlightenment. But the reward is priceless. The stronger the conviction, the higher the watermark on the world. I bet you none of those people regretted standing up for their beliefs.

Now most people don’t have such high expectations or will to change the world. And there is nothing wrong with that. To be simple is also respectable and noble. My point in drawing your attention to these historic figures and the importance of embracing your unique alternate reality, to strenghten your resolve in your convictions and beliefs, is to tell you that you are not a freak. Don’t let anyone tell you your view is wrong. If you believe in something, never let it go. You might be ahead of your time. If you truly believe in something, you should not be afraid to speak up when it is questioned, discriminated, or ridiculed. The rights guaranteed to us are inalienable, and are necessary by law not merely as a protective measure, but instead a call to act. It is your duty to defend what you believe in. It’s your duty to stand up and take command.

5 Comments:

Blogger -R said...

Hey Josh, nice to see you on here.

A few things. Firstly, I agree that this existence may be a dream after all. However, for the purposes of my discussion I use the definition of “reality” as you point out: those things that are non-subjective that everyone agrees on. The picture that is hanging on the wall will be agreed upon by 99% of people that it is indeed hanging on the wall (I can’t explain the 1%, but I’m sure they exist). “Alternate realities,” although different for most people, can also be agreed upon by more than one person. People can share the same perception and interpretation of the same picture. In another example, there are over 1 billion Muslims in the world who, without speaking of their differences, all agree that there is no God but Allah and Muhammad is his Prophet. That is an alternate reality that is separate from the rest of the world but is commonly shared by that massive chunk of people who hold that as a central belief and key identifying factor.

In the same vein, although these 1 billion people (and I’m just using this example because it’s easier to stick to one than to keep changing, but it holds true for most things) all share this particular perception of the world around them, they are all unique with not two people being able to have the exact same experience and perception.

Therefore, because I recognize that no two people can be alike, I would resist any effort made by an individual or an institution to streamline those one billion people (again, just using the same example) to believe EVERYTHING the same way. Remember how Republicans said it was “unpatriotic” to be against the Iraqi war? If you believe in democratic principles, you must support the war because it’s for democratic purposes, so argued the Bush administration. I, however, also have strong beliefs in democratic principles but I did not support the war, so even beliefs in the same principle can be subjective. But that is also not to say that I won’t ever support a war so my beliefs are flexible and not a consistent interpretation of “reality.”

That being said, there is also something to be said for consistency, especially in such a rapidly developing world. Too many people are corralled into certain ways of thinking that I see almost no independent thought. When someone’s mind is made up on an issue, it’s usually because they saw it on the TV, or their friends are doing it, or some other external influence. Rarely do people go against the grain. But if one has a core set of beliefs, some form of adherence to an established “alternate reality,” they won’t sway to every gust of hot wind that blows their way.

Everyday the world changes, and there are always people fighting to convince others how to think. New issues that arise everyday are being spun by politicians, academics, and whoever else is trying to benefit from it. My point in advocating people to establish a clear “alternate reality” is not to close their mind, but instead to have a stable springboard to jump from every time a new issue arises. More than anything, I want people to be individuals and think for themselves. Determine on their own how they see the world around them and what they want to do with their life.

(sorry for making this so long, but I hope this clarifies my message. I hope to hear from you more often Josh!)

8:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for taking the time to digress from your studies and provide such a quality writing. I wonder who the judge should be to decide whether enlightenment is in interest or in health of the public? (not that it ever would be the same for any given situation, or any given bit of information) I guess I go by the belief that more is better: the more information we assimilate, the more ideas we consider, the more emotion we experience, the stronger our final "alternate reality" will be. So if you've got some enlightenment to share, go ahead, but don't think of it as a duty.
I think I enjoy things more when they're a product of courtesy rather than obligation. Of course, others may feel differently, but who cares huh?

3:22 PM  
Blogger -R said...

I love you rask. There can definitely never be too much raskolnikov! The more the better I say!!

6:23 PM  
Blogger Kyle Wood said...

So much has been said, I may have lost track, but I think I'm pushing the "alternate reality" a little further. I believe that this alternate reality, #2, is where everyone shares everything. It's where everything is taken down to the level of subatomic particles and only universal truths exist. I think many beliefs, even some religious (and this might be what Rhino was saying as well) are just our minds feeble interpretations of our surroundings. In other words, it serves as a midpoint between the two realities b/c here we cannot hope to comprehend the true extent of "#2." Religious stories, parables, and even some beliefs that have become dependent upon societal changes, are our way of creating comfortable schemas for our limited minds to grasp broader reaching, abstract concepts.
On the other hand, our minds and reality provide us with an equally comfortable identity that we likely wouldn't have or at least care about in reality #2. So, here, we are challenged to live only through our senses and our illogical emotional responses based on our identity/ ego.
I would call the alternate realities you refer to a product in some odd way of this tug of war. Different people make sense of it all in vastly different ways, as evidence here, and create a system by which they share a common, but not exclusive bond.
I'm babbling. Going back to work has robbed my mind.

4:33 PM  
Blogger -R said...

I’ll be honest, when I read the first sentence of your post, I thought to myself “oh no, another misperception of what I said.” And then it hit me. Everyone had a different perception to what I said. And that is EXACTLY what I’m talking about. All of you have clear “alternate realities” (just use my definition of it for now) that are not changed by what I or anyone else says. I say this phrase means one thing, and each of you said, “well no, to me this means such and such.” And that is fucking beautiful. Thank you all for considering what I wrote and not blindly agreeing, but contemplating and giving me YOUR version. I am honored to know such strong, considerate, and brilliant souls. I will close with this quote from Dante’s Paradiso:

For he is a fool, and low among his kind,
who answers yea or nay without reflection,
nor does it matter on which road he runs blind.

Opinions too soon formed often deflect
Man’s thinking from the truth into gross error,
In which his pride then blinds the intellect.

5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker