Sunday, July 31, 2005

Reflections on sharing the stage with Wu-Tang




Yesterday began simple enough. Shower, breakfast, hit the gravity. But soon enough, Jules, Justin and I were off to the Rock the Bells Hip Hop show in San Bernardino. We also went last year which featured the first complete Wu-Tang reunion in 10 years (which also happened to be ODB’s last performance (RIP)), but I also really enjoyed many other acts like Dilated Peoples, Sage Francis, Supernatural, Redman, among others. So the great experience from last year really drove us to go again this year, even though we knew we would be standing in the sweltering heat, exhausted and dehydrated.

We got there about 1:00 pm when the Visionaries were finishing up their set. Supernatural came on after them, followed by Non Phixion, DJ Muggs, Guru (Gang Star), DJ Q-Bert, Sage Francis, Hieroglyphics, Living Legends, Immortal Technique, Redman, Talib Kweli, NAS, KRS-1, and finally, Raekwon, Goastface Killah, Inspectah Deck, and the RZA finished up the show. I am listing all of these acts because anyone who knows Hip Hop knows that this is a monster lineup. Any of these bands could headline a show of their own. I was blown away by the Hieroglyphics, Living Legends, and Sage Francis but I’m not going to go in depth because I could go on and on and as the title of this article suggests, there is something much more amazing that happened this night.

Since we got there early, my friends and I were up at the front. I was able to take close pictures (not with my nice digital camera but with a cheap (not in price!) disposable camera) and when I took my final picture of the RZA when he came on stage, my legs and my stomach begged me to get the fuck out of there, sit down, and drink some water. So I jumped over the railing and I made my way to leave the show. But I noticed that somehow, the exit led directly behind the stage. And once I was there, I noticed that anyone could just jump up on the stage. So I did so, and the next thing I knew, I was part of the show. I still don’t know why anyone didn’t ask me to leave. It was obvious by my appearance that I didn’t belong there. But somehow no one questioned it and I began drinking all the extra water that was on stage – I had been dying for the last 9 hours!

So what’s so cool about being on stage with one of the most notorious Hip Hop bands in the world? Everything! Ok, seriously though, it’s one of those things that I will never forget. The fact that I was somehow able to get on stage, even by accident, I think demonstrates how grassroots Hip Hop is. It’s about the people, no matter how you look and how you’re dressed. It’s about enjoying yourself, and having the music channel that. Music is about bringing people together. And seeing the thousands of faces from up on stage, you get a sense that you’re really providing that bond. I’m not saying me personally, but the band performing, the show that’s going on. I had a final blunt left which I shared with all those around me. I would’ve even offered it to the RZA, but he already had one.

This kind of “giving back to people” is just not present enough among today’s people. There is simply too many selfish and arrogant people out there who look down on others and don’t give back. It’s only when you realize that you are only one dot, one speck among this entire human community that you begin to appreciate others and the greater good. What does it matter if you have a three car garage, a maid, and a six figure salary if those next to you are suffering?

I want to finish this with the reason why I think was able to get on stage. During the day, when the sun was merciless, a man in front of me was passing out. People were yelling for water, but such a precious commodity was not offered by anyone to this drunken stranger. I had a bottle ¾ full which was supposed to last me for the whole day. Thinking it was the right thing to do, I held out the water I had. The man drank some, and immediately passed out, spilling the rest of the water in the bottle. Already parched, I knew I had no way of getting water for the next 9 hours. But I knew the karma I generated from that act was positive, and I wasn’t worried that somehow (I was hoping for a water bottle thrown from the stage) I would be repaid. And I did receive a very lavish and unique gift. Thank you very much.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kyle Wood said...

Wow! Karma swings like a pendulum doesn't it? I wish I could've seen that show. I saw Sage in NC back in Feb. or Mar. and his live show was awesome. I'd love to see the Visionaries and L.L. That night reminds me of something we used to say. "That's in the movie!" When we were tennagers, we would say that about anything cool, funny or unique that happened to us. If we ever made a movie, that'd be in it. Hey Rob, check out the comments on my last blog. Why do people have to be so mean for no reason?

7:50 PM  
Blogger -R said...

Yeah, I think that was the first time I ever got on stage. And what better way to pop my cherry than to be on stage with my favorite hip hop band in front of thousands of people. The experience was magical. Truly, straight from a movie.

9:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

F-ing AMAZING! I was at that show, but was not as lucky (or perhaps rewarded) as you were. Instead I was in the middle, hanging on to the gate that surrounded the cameras. I loved every minute of it tho. Especially when they played my personal fav song, 4th Chamber. And considering that was the last show the WHOLE Wu crew will ever do together, you were *quite* blessed.

10:08 AM  
Blogger -R said...

I was actually just a little further up from you, also in the center clinging to the gate. That was quite a crowd. And quite a show. If I had never made it up to the stage I would be still be very happy for just being there.

I was VERY happy when they played "nothin to fuck with" and I think I turned into an animal the instant RZA broke into his verse.

Good times, maybe see you at the next one

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker